Friday, October 26, 2007

Slovenia

While, I am currently in Slovenia. It has been great! I began my time here in the little town of Ptuj. It is a tiny little medivel town in the eastern part of Slovenia. My journey there began by getting off the train at the wrong train station in the freezing cold rain in this tiny little town. I realized it once I got off, so I had to wait an hour until the next train came to take me on my way, but there was no where to wait inside, so I had to wait in the cold. Once my train came and I got to my destination, I made my way to the hostel. I thought that there was only one in town and just about died when they told me it was full. Luckily, there is one other hostel so they called over and got me a bed for 2 nights. That was good cause I had my own room and a great kitchen with tv. That is always a plus!

I explored the town the next day (in the rain). I walked all through the streets, went up to the castle and just browsed in some shops. It is this great old town, surrounded by trees and fields. I had a great time wandering around and chatting with people. They were all very friendly and even if they could not speak English, they wanted to try and communicate.

Next, I headed off to the capital, Ljbuljbiana. It is the capital, but it feels more like a small town. It is built around a river and many of the buildings are old. The arquitecture here is just great and there are so many landmarks right in the city center. The city is guarded by a huge castle up on the hill overlooking the city. I went up and explored it, walked along the river and checked out the sights.

The next day, I went with 3 other people from my hostel and we rented a car and went and checked out the Lake town of Bled. It was really beautiful, but unfortunately it was raining that day which made it a bit hard to enjoy completely. After that, we headed to the town of Postonja to see some caves that were supposed to be amazing. After getting lost for about 2 hours, we made our way there, just in time for the last tour of the day. It reminded me of the ride, Thunder Mountain at Disneyland cause you descend into the cave on a train and then you get off and walk around, then you get taken out on a train again. It was absolutely beautiful! There were all these stalagtites and stalagmites in the cave with these great formations. Upon getting back to town, we went to the best restaurant for dinner with such yummy salads that the guys who works at our hostel recommended. It was amazing! We loved it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WATCH YOUR BACK, TRUST NO ONE, STRESSSSS HERE