And that is the extent of the Croatian that I can speak. It means "thank you." I caught an early Katamaran for the town of Split on the Adriatic Coast of Croatia. I had a full 2 days here and enjoyed every minute. I got here pretty early, around 8:30 in the morning and found my hostel. Luckily, they let me check in early and imagine my surprise when not only do we have big rooms there with only 3 to 4 people in them, but each room has a computer with FREE internet and a tv and dvd player. Such a luxury when you have been doing budget traveling to have those things! The guy who runs this place has about 500 dvds so it is like having a movie store in the hostel. We have definately taken advantage of it here and enjoyed some tv and dvds with some quiet nights in just all of us hanging out since it is a smaller hostel.
I did however actually get out and see the city. This is another city that is a UNESCO World Heritage sight with a great old town. The old town is composed of Diocleatans Palace that is very impressive. The arcitecture all around the city is old and has a great feel to it. There are tons of little shops with back alleyways winding and above the shops are apartments where people live and you can see lines of clothes hanging out to dry everyday. It is built right on the water where there is a port for all of the ferries and ships to come into. Along the water there is a palm tree lined promenade that is great for strolling down and tons of benches for sitting and observing the bustling cafe scene there. On Saturday, it appeared as though every family were out walking about. The weather here was beautiful. It is autumn so it was sunny out with just a slight breeze in the air. It was very cool and crisp weather, the kind where you can put on pants and a long sleeve shirt and it is the perfect temperature. When sitting in the sun, it just warms you up and feels great!
One of my favorite things was going to the crazy busy fruit and veggie market on Saturday. Everyone was out buying their food for the week and I went to grab some fixings for dinner. There was a ton of people there and tons of great looking fruit and veggies. Additionally, people were selling flowers, cheese, meats, fish, dried fruit, nuts, and a whole assortment of of other things. I had fun finding my stuff and getting it as I usually do at the local farmers markets that are all around here. It was great!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment