Well after my 2 extremely long days of travel, I arrived in Athens with the group of people I met on the ferry on our way over here. My first full day there, I headed up to the Acropolis to see the sights andall of the ancient ruins that are around there. I walked up and imagine my suprise when I happen to be there on the one day a year when everything is free! That is great news for us budget travelers cause we saved 12 euros! The acropolis was pretty amazing to see especially the Partheon. Unfortunately, a lot of the sights there were having to be rebuilt, but it was still amazing to see. I spent a few hours up there and then headed back into town to walk around.
I met up that night with the group of people from before and we went to grab some dinnner at this really cheap gyro place we found that had great food, but only if you take it to go is it so cheap. We wanted to sit somewhere, so we walked to this one section of town where we could "dine with a view of the Acropolis" at night. Since Athens did not have that many benches around, we just plopped ourselves on the ground in the middle of the sidewalk. We kinda looked like vagabonds, but it worked well.
The next day I went to the National Archeological Museum to see an amazing amount of artifacts from Greek culture. There were beautiful statutes and bronze work and gold work. I was truly a sight to see. The whole city of Athens was interesting because it is this completely modern city, built around what is supposedly the beginning of civilization set high up on a hill over looking the city.
In the afternoon, I headed over to the national gardens, which is this completely lush green park bythe parliament building where it is nice,quiet, and relaxing among all of the loud huslte and buslte of the city. There was also some great shopping in Greece, so I went on the hunt that afternoon for a skirt. Instead, I ended up with 2 skirts, but I figured it was alright.
I only had 2 days in Athens, but that seemed to be enough and next I am off to island hop in the Greek Isles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment