Well, I headed back to Italy to see Venice because it was closer to see it while I was in this neck of the woods instead of seeing it when I was in Italy before. I spent 2 days there wandering around the city and had a great time. It was pretty neat to see because there are all of thes canals running through the city to connect the different islands. Bridges cross all of the canals at different points and it really does look like the pictures that you see of it.
Everyone that I talked to before I went to Venice said that they got lost in the city even with a map. Because of that, I decided that I was just not gonna use a map and wander around to see what I see. That was the best decision that I made because I ended up seeing everything and getting into some areas that were definately off of the tourist track and there was no one there but the people who lived there. The islands at times feel like a big maze cause you wander for a while and then suddenly it just dead ends and you have to turn around and go back.
While there, I of course had to see St. Marks Square and the cathedral. The square was covered in more pigeons than I have ever seen in my entire life and they are aggressive things. I wanted to kick some of them when they landed on me. The cathedral is beautiful, both inside and out. It is quite a work of art. I went to this section behind the alter that you have to pay to get into to see this alter piece that is behind it. That thing is stunning! It is this huge intricate work of gold and precious stones inlaid in it. I have never seen anything like it!
Other than that, my time was spent just wandering and enjoying Venice. I checked out a few of the touristy shopping streets and looked at all of the various things they were selling. I also wandered around and just sat and enjoyed the view overlooking some of the canals with the gondolas and the water taxis. There was also this guy I watched for a while who had a bunch of wine glasses he was playing by wetting his fingers and holding it over the glasses. It was pretty amazing cause he was playing pieces by Mozart and such. I was impressed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment