Well, I split up my time in Copenhagen, Denmark into 2 parts. I spent 1 night and a full day there before I headed off to Sweden and Norway and then I spent another 2 nights and days there upon returning. Now, some of you may or may not know that my 2 favorite Disney movies of all time are Oliver and Company and The Little Mermaid. One of the things that Copenhagen is most famous for is having the original statute of the Little Mermaid there. You can bet that I went to see and it was super stoked! It was definately my favorite thing that I got to see. Ok, so it was not the most impressive statute there, but it was still great nontheless.
Now that was not all I did though. I went and strolled around and looked at a bunch of sculptures that were great. The city had a lot of them in one area. There is an active army area there that is open to the public to walk around the grounds because there are some beautiful grassy areas and parks that overlook a peaceful river and parts of the city. I took a stroll around this area and took it all in. After this, I headed over to the Danish Resistance Museum to see how Denmark cooped with the Nazis during WWII. This was a fascinating museum to see how it affected this country and what they did during that time. It was a wealth of information and taught me a lot about history that I needed to brush up on.
The city had tons of stuff to see. I went to look at the palace, but only from the outside and also this old castle that was built in the 17th century there. It really looks like one of those castles that you would imagine in a story or something. There were only a few rooms open due to renovations, but it was great to see still.
I really wanted to go to Tivoli Gardens, which is this amusment park that is like 180 years old or something. It is very famous, but unfortunately it was closed for the winter and only opens for a month or so around Christmas time. I was jsut missing when they were going to be opening it for the Christmas season, but I was content to see the lights that they had on there. It is right downtown and you can see into it from the street so I could see how it was all decked out for Christmas.
The city has a couple major waterways in it that used to be used for trade when it was originally built. There is this great old part of town that is very pedestrian friendly and it filled with variuos businesses and shops. There are also some huge buildings with huge neon lite signs that are like any big modern city. I went up one of the towers in the Old City that has a spiral walkway all the way up it. It is quite unique to any type of arquitecture because normally a tower has stairs all the way up, not a spiralling walkway. When I reached the top, I was greeted with a great view over all of Copenhagen and just about froze up there cause of the icy, cold wind.
I decided to treat myself to a movie one night because it has been months since I have been to the show. So I headed over to the show and picked out one that I am not sure of the name of in English, but I think it was new. It was shown in the English version with Danish subtitles so I could understand all that was said. When I purchased my ticket, the girl asked me where I wanted to sit. I gave her a dumbfounded look cause I did not know what she meant. Apparently there, you have to choose your seat and they actually print it on the ticket. I told her that I would take whatever she thought was good. So she set me up with one right in the middle. It is different than we have where you just walk in and sit whereever.
Copenhagen was a great city and I really liked it, although, I could have dealt with a bit warmer weather!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment